Autumn Cleaning Checklist09/14/2016
Everyone knows about spring cleaning, but this month we’d like to remind you of the importance of autumn cleaning! Autumn cleaning gives you a chance to freshen up your home before winter settles in. Plus, seasonal deep cleaning makes it easier to maintain a clean house year-round. Here are a few things to check off your list when you’re prepping your home for the change of season ahead:
- Wash all windows, indoors and outdoors. Use these remaining sunny days to give your windows a good scrubbing on the outside. Remove window screens and hose them down before laying them out to dry.
- Wash window blinds in a bathtub with some vinegar and dish soap. Vacuum or launder drapes and other fabric window coverings.
- Launder and store summer clothes to make room in your closet for more seasonally appropriate garments.
- Clean out gutters early in the season before the majority of the leaves fall to make it easy to maintain clear gutters all autumn long.
- Use warm soapy water and a long-handled mop to wash interior walls.
- Clean patio furniture and store it away for the winter.
- All kinds of critters like to try to hide out in your attic during this time of year. Declutter and clean the attic to eliminate hiding spots and stay one step ahead of these unwelcome houseguests.
- Launder summer linens, beach towels, etc. and store in the linen closet.
- Replace furnace filters (and set yourself a reminder on your calendar to always do this at the start of a new season).
- Remove cars and large objects from the garage and give it a good sweeping before moving things back.